KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What happens if no one sings? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:03 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I recently hosted a private Halloween party with about 60 people ranging in age from 22 to 75. They were all in costume and seemed to be having a good time. I set up and started my show at 8:45 and did a couple of warm up songs. Now I always do my songs with props and joke costumes. This went over quite well. Unfortunately no one wanted to sing. I cajoled, challenged, begged and even brow beat them and still no one sung. The party host asked me to continue doing karaoke and not to switch to DJing.
:?
It turned into the Terryoke floor show. I pulled out all the stops. I did everything from "Snoopy & the Red Baron" to "Twilight Zone" to the "Rodeo Song". All of them with some type of wig or blow up instrument or funny hat. It took over two and half hours before someone got up and sang. :roll:

The couple of people who sang had me put on a CDG and sang every song front to back. This didn't attract much of an audience to the room I was hosting in. They eventually left and I had to start singing every song again. Near the end of the evening a few older women came into the singing room and sat and sang thru a Shania disk. :oops:

Everyone complimented me on my efforts and I was told by a few that I was "one of the best hosts they had ever seen". I just never seemed to get any reaction or participation. :x

I even tried singing "Bad to the Bone" to one of the more attractive women in the crowd to put some attention on someone other than me. I joked with some of the people about their costumes. I got some applause and a couple of laughs but otherwise nothing. :?:

I got paid with a tip and the party hosts were very complementary. I came away so confused. I feel I let them down.

Has this ever happened to you and what have you tried that has worked in the past?

Karaoke is the only social disease that you can get in public and not get arrested.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:14 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
yes... but not to the point that you have seen. I wasn't complimented on the show, in fact just the opposite.

now the next week... killer show. Who can figure it out? Certainly wiser men than me! LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:30 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

All I can say is those things happen. In this business I've learned that it can be anything! I wouldn't take it personally, especially if you received the compliments. You, as a KJ, can only do so much. Apparently, they still enjoyed the show you put on - take that in itself as success. I've had shows where only 2 or 3 people would sing for the longest time. Then as the night went on and people got more drinks into them, they gave up some of the inhibitions and got into it. One of the real surprises was a picnic for an organization, mostly older types, that was scheduled for 3-6:30 p.m. They really surprised me as they were having a ball and really got into it. It ended up lasting until after 10:30 p.m. as they just didn't want to quit. I've even picked up other special events off that one as they all had so much fun. Other times I've had younger crowds who you'd think would really get into it, but I think they all were afraid to embarass themselves in front of their dates/wives or whatever, and no matter what I did, I couldn't convince them to come up and give it a try. It sure does make you wonder though, doesn't it :shock: :? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

#1 IF NO ONE IS SINGING....INCREASE THE ALCOHOL CONTENT OF THE DRINKS ...OR LOWER THE PRICES :lol:
You commented that there was a singing room ...was the party SPLIT ..was karaoke out of the main room? That could be a problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:47 pm 
You did your best, you should have DJ'd though if they had a request list, I always ask before any private I do, if there are certain songs they want played, or with karaoke available if I see not a lot of singers, I do dance music during the dry spots. Always keep your options open on Private parties and good luck to you this holiday season!!!! I am sure with your skill you will do fine....MV :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:55 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Sometimes our show starting around 9:45 is slow, so I'll sing one song, play a couple of tunes, then go back to a karaoke, then 2 musical songs.

I usually keep this up until I get other singers.

I guess if it was a private party and no one wanted to sing it would be great if you had a co-host or someone else you could split some of the songs with, but you'd have to know in advance that it may be a slow night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:46 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Man-O-maN! If that were to ever happen to me, I think I would be lip syncing to a lot of Multiplexes... :lol:

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:22 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Gary
I've heard you sing. You're great.
(Of course, after 30 or 40 songs, ...)
I was out last night at "The San Franciscan" in Torrance, and they had a "Sub" KJ, and 3 singers. (Yes I logged in)
After 2 songs, it was time to go. The KJ didn't even sing.
So, you never know...

Just singin'

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:24 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

jdmeister, that's a good example of why kj's need to be able to sing. I'm not saying they should sing all the time, but when things are slow, or if someone comes up with a request, etc., they should be able to jump in. The other thing, of course, is that if the KJ sings on a fairly regular basis, it tends to keep him/her more in tune with the other singers' feelings/attitudes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:50 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I never, ever, am without "regular" music. Never. Sometimes at parties, karaoke doesn't happen. Doesn't matter if you have a base of music to fall back to. Doesn't taka a lot - 60s-current, cover the bases - standards, oldies, country, disco, etc., being sure to have a few of the "biggies" (Cha cha slide, YMCA, Electric Slide, Happy Birthday, select current like "Hot In Here"...). Put a few compilatikons together and you're set. Never leave home without 'em, as they say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

yep!

I play mix music, I have some videos that work great on my JVC Triple tray... I play comedy bits... even pop a movie or music vid on the RSQ505 dvd player...

Life's too short to sing to a dead house!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:36 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I gotta tell ya'll, I went to a show the other day expecting one host and got a new one. Nice enough guy ok, but was a dj/kj. I don't mean to bad mouth dj's, so don't anyone take this wrong but, its advertised as a karaoke not a dj dance. All night (down to the last 30 mins or so) it was one karaoke song, then one dance filler (sometimes 2). That in itself doubled the rotation time. The other thing was the dance fillers were all fast, loud, etc., then when the next karaoke song came up it was much softer level. The filler music is fine when you only have 2 or 3 people in the rotation, and I always carry it with me in the event you get a number of people requesting a dance song, etc., but to play it all night long after you have 12-15 singers in the rotation gets kinda old.

Ok go ahead - shoot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:31 am 
Ron,
I know the Venue, KJ/DJ and the crowd.. Amazing how the tide turned in such a classy place huh.. one of the top venues in this city, that had a 2 hour rotation, and a top drawing Super respected KJ gets replaced for someone for a KJ/DJ who chases off a rotation like that... that move for whom ever is responsible for it is the dumbest move in Entertainment History! But the place has a history for politics too.. The KJ/DJ needs a wakeup call I know he has great Equipment. BUT...............

Undenyably AMAZINGLY STUPID! :withstupid:

That's Albuquerque for ya... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:40 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

It's a real shame :shock: I've had 3 or 4 other regulars tell me they're not going back. The whole crowd will change and if ya go in there in two months you won't even recognize the place :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:42 am 

It's no fun when a singer has to watch a KJ killing himself and nobody wants to sing. I've been to clubs where the KJ and I were the only ones to sing for the first hour or so. I don't have a professionally trained voice so I was worn out by the time my wife and I left after 2 hours.

Of course the KJ's around here also know that if I'm in the room, I don't have inhibitions about helping get things started. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:35 am 
Bob.. I refuse to fight a KJ or a system that's not even close.. i can deal with a song that's a step off key.. but not being able to hear the track is just unexcusable! i'd rather have my voice buried than be all that's heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:56 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Heres my take...
1. If I were the KJ I would make it so that I get paid regardless of what happens....and I would stick around and do my Job because I am getting paid wether there are lots of people or none at all.
2. I would make it so if no one does show up I would have the ability to go to DJ mode until a song request for Karaoke is made. 4 - 6 hours of singing can really tear up a persons voice, then where would ya be?

Just my 2 cents

T.B.K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:18 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I can sing a select # of songs, but I in no way can carry a 4 hour show.

If you won't get up a sing, i'll sing, and most likely will join you at you table and sing........ I hate to sing at the TV

I have laptop that I DJ from (ALL LEGALLY OBTAINED TRACKS), and i just turn the fader up and play some dance tunes and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:24 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

darn, you must have come all the way from canada to southern indiana to do that show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:35 am 
Sg,
I think it has or will happen to a KJ/DJ atleast once in his or her career.
if it don't well then they got lucky... extremely lucky.