KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Speakers??? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Speakers???
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:05 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Hey all! I'm a newbie here (First post) and I must say I'm impressed with all the knowledge and camaderie I've witnessed. :) I'm just now breaking into the KJ scene myself and have TONS of questions, like copyright topics, what to say after a singer finishes, how to handle lack of participation, preferred CDG sources, etc... Thanks for all the help so far.

Right now, I'm in the market for a pair of speakers to run with my Peavey XR696F power mixer (600W X 2 @ 4 ohms). I've been borrowing and renting lately until I decide on what to buy. I want something that sounds good now, but also that I can grow into. Lately, I've been working with a set of Peavey SP4X's. The bass sound is great :D , but am missing the midrange. :cry: I know the 22XT horn is rated down to 500 Hz, but voice reproduction just doesn't sound very rich to me. It all sound very shrill coming out of the horn.

Are any of y'all running true three-way speaker cabinets? If so, what kind, and how do they sound? Ideally, I'd like to find either a cabinet with 2X15" woofers with a midrange and a horn. Or maybe the same thing with a single 15" and just add an 18" sub. Any help y'all can offer would be much appreciated.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:49 am 
The 3 ways i use would be too expensive for your wallet, but.. I can recommend some very good tunable 3 way speakers that would work for you. and where to find them.

there is 2 choices...

JBL SR series whis is selectable passive or active high/mid internal crossover I of course go active and use a dbx drive rack to run them
or an ETA crossover the difference between them is about $3,000.00
being that the ETA can be run buy a laptop and has many more control amplifier control functions, and the dbx has only final processing and crossover functions.

And

JBL's "M" series some models may have come selectable .. I don't know about any more.. I also know that Behringer has also now started to copy it.. and they are loud!!! at 600w per channel.

contact http://www.grandmas.com Ask for Ryan.

tell them Brian Douglas sent ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:57 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
How do you have the eq set on the mixer. I run the same speakers (slightly older but same drivers) & have no problem with midrange - now I also bi-amp the speakers as well. But if you have the classic "smile" on your eq (start with boosts on both ends & curve downward toward the middle), then you will lose the midrange regardless of the type or model speaker - all the midrange frequencies are in the bottom of that smile. Flatline your eq & control the adjustments from the channel strips.

3 way speakers aren't really necessary but if you are set on getting some, Carvin.com make a couple of 3 ways. 2 with single 15's, 8" & horn. 1 with dual 15", dual 8" & horn. They sound pretty decent.
If you want the best (just my opinion) & can still find them - I see them on e-bay every once in a while, the JBL SR4732. This is a dual 12", horn & super tweeter. This speaker is perfect for any application & with an 18" sub under it, your sound will be phenominal. You would definately want to push more power & probably tri-amp or at the least bi-amp.
Mackie makes an active 3 way with a single 15" or a dual 12" or a quad 12" design, but since you already have a mixer/amp, this probably won't be an option. But if you use your mixer/amp as your monitor amp & go with the powered speakers for your mains - again the system will kick!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I've used for a few years Peavey sp5g 15" 2 ways Never had a problem w/the sound. Highs lows or Mid ......I'd agree w/Lonman and try to adjust the EQ.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:46 pm 
Lon and Jam,
I have run the peavey speakers with the XT22 horn in them AKA the SP-5, SP-4 speakers and they in a passive high arrangement also in a "flat" properly Bi-amped hi/mid set up also with a seperately run sub 18" sub tends to stil come out with a very harsh sounding horn with a biased peak around 3k to a very harsh 8 k according to every show that i have brought in a Real Time Analizer which has been 99% of them. I just find that the box is not as reliable as the EV's that were out at the current time or any current Eminence or Mackie or B-52 or JBL product out now.. or a matter of fact i could compare them to the carvin boxes out today which are very hard to find. I would not recommend them to anyone due to the
sheer fact of of lack of protection circutry in the product. I personally would rather see someone start on a less expensive speaker and work thier way into something they absolutely knew how to not to blow up.
or could find something easily tunable with enough protection without having to pay 400.00 - 1,500.00 us dollars retail for a replacement speaker for a error in judgement or a salesmen's greedy opportunity. And we all know that is done. When it shouldn't even cost that much.
Who is ripping off who??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:46 pm 
Lon and Jam,
I have run the peavey speakers with the XT22 horn in them AKA the SP-5, SP-4 speakers and they in a passive high arrangement also in a "flat" properly Bi-amped hi/mid set up also with a seperately run sub 18" sub tends to stil come out with a very harsh sounding horn with a biased peak around 3k to a very harsh 8 k according to every show that i have brought in a Real Time Analizer which has been 99% of them. I just find that the box is not as reliable as the EV's that were out at the current time or any current Eminence or Mackie or B-52 or JBL product out now.. or a matter of fact i could compare them to the carvin boxes out today which are very hard to find. I would not recommend them to anyone due to the
sheer fact of of lack of protection circutry in the product. I personally would rather see someone start on a less expensive speaker and work thier way into something they absolutely knew how to not to blow up.
or could find something easily tunable with enough protection without having to pay 400.00 - 1,500.00 us dollars retail for a replacement speaker for a error in judgement or a salesmen's greedy opportunity. And we all know that is done. When it shouldn't even cost that much.
Who is ripping off who??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:06 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
There is a trick I learned from an engineer for older models when bi-amping, use the low input for the lows & full range input for the highs & not the actual high input. This give a nicer sound for the high/mids that isn't as harsh as the high input.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile