KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Bringing in patrons... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bringing in patrons...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:32 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Question:

Just starting out in a "not-so-big-town" in a "not-so-well-known" club. :? However it is in a good spot on the main drag in town. The drinks are good as are the prices and the sevice. Just not many patrons. :( Part of the problem is that the owner is too cheap to buy neither a radio spot nor a lighted sign for out front. :roll: What is the best way to get the word out? I've already been dropping off flyers at places like restaurants and the bowling alley...places where I think people would be out and about anyway. Not much response so far though. I'm not sure putting flyers out at other clubs would be taken lightly by the owners of those establishments. :twisted: What else should I try?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:10 pm 
Marty,
some local entertainment listings in local papers have free listings for club entertainment.. check on that..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:50 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I think if you're going to use flyers, you'd be better off putting them on the windshields of cars in parking lots, or delivering them door to door in that part of town. Not too many people look at them on boards at stores etc. The other thing I'd do is get a couple of your friends and/or followers to team up and use the good old word of mouth. If you can get just 2 or 3 new people each show, it'll grow in no time at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:37 pm 
Ron...
You and I know about that one real well... And it actually works well.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:58 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I'm qiute familiar with the "small town blues". I recently relocated to a very small town in the middle of a big valley with nothing but a lot of other small towns. Haven't tried to start a show yet, but I'm workin' on it.

When I got here it took me a lot of intense research to find the first Karaoke Club within 60 miles of my town. Now I find them all over the place and my "territory" has shrunk to about 30 country miles and I've got a list of places to go any day of the week.

Moral of the story .... If you're not getting a big turn out, give the people that you have the best show and good time they ever had. I've found that Karaoke addicts like myself will shop until they drop and they will take direction to any place by talking to other people who have had a great experience at "so and so's" show They are your best advertising. "Build it and they will come" :) '

good luck to ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:52 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

That's what I'm saying Penn. Nothing helps a show more than people telling friends what a great show it is. On the other hand you certainly don't want people out there saying something like "I can't tell ya where to go, but I sure know where not to go". That's why its important to treat them all like kings and queens, regardless of how they sing. Ya gotta make em all feel wanted and appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:30 am 
Norm,
when I had gone back to run the original "Show" up in North Dakota 2 years ago I used to hop shows all over Minnesota upon roumers and word of mouth all the time.. some of them were quite good and others were down right flops.. and actually I think a few I have told this story to before.. but I ended up leaving that area after I had auditioned and been offered a reputable contract with a label In Nashville, by a complete stroke of luck.. and today still I am currently signed with some really great people still to date. Other than the Competitions then and shows of my own, I think I was hitting 5-6 shows a week.. mostly by "Word of mouth".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:56 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

MustangMarty -

One other thing I might add is that you should spend a lot of time at this site. As a non-KJ, I have gained an enormous amount of knowledge and insight from people like Brian and Ron and the other "real pros" here. They are always willing to share it. (thanks guys) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:24 pm 
Norm....
Gee Thanks! :oops: (checking the pockets looking for the acceptance speech for my first industry award that I had once mentally written in my dreams as a kid...)

Sorry... Actually, I appreciate the kind words Norm.. and the Karaoke world is like the school of hard knocks but you just can't do karaoke to be 100% successful at it. All the chops to make it work I have taken from marketing from Music Merchandising, Live Pro Audio Marketing, and the Professional Recording Industry. And between attending alot of trade shows, and getting to know some of Manufacturers & retailers, it seems to have all come into a situation where I have learned how to survive in a tough world.

Once again thanks so much!

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:44 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Karaoke w/Ron wrote:
I think if you're going to use flyers, you'd be better off putting them on the windshields of cars in parking lots...

Ron - I'm not sure about NM laws - but I know if you do that here in FL and people litter the lot with them (which is inevitable), you (the person who's contact info is on the flyers which, if it isn't you will eventually wind up fingering you) will be responsible for policing the parking lot and surrounding property(s) and cleaning up ALL brochures.

This usually means having to hire a lot-vac to the tune of several hundred dollars, policing the perimeter yourself (and any friends you can conscript to aid you) and possibly paying a littering fine (or several).

I've heard of this happening to several individuals/small businesses who tried to do it at a couple of different locations around town (shopping centers and the local "arena" in particular). I believe they were also cited in the Classifieds of the local paper as well.

Think hard about doing this and be sure to double-check the laws/ordinances in your state/county/area.

YMMV...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:18 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Sorry bout that. Guess it's the difference in the local laws. That don't happen here. In that case, not a good idea. Maybe hand delivering them do houses. Another thing might be look for a local advertising flyer type paper that comes out once a week or so. Maybe placing an ad in it would be less expensive than newspaper/radio, but would still get read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:51 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

All good ideas but NOTHING beats word of mouth!