KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - When you go soliciting for shows, what are you considering? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Are you just looking to find yourself a gig at any place that is willing to hire you, or are you taking other things into consideration?

There are plenty of KJs out there who are working hard to find gigs and make a go of it, and then there are KJs out there who are hustling to get anything they can find (even if it's just a one-time only show). This is not to say that they run a good show or a bad show. In fact, this particular topic has nothing to do with how you run your show. This is just dealing with the external factors involved.

1) Do you check out the size of the place before trying to sell your services? Do you look to see if you have enough “work-space” for yourself, or are you willing to be forced to set up in a spot only a few inches/feet away from the Bar area (where the Singers have to compete against the noise levels from the people directly in front of them at the Bar who are having their own conversations and also constantly walking back and forth in front of them and the Monitor/TV Screen)?

2) Do you scope out the area? Do you check to see if it is a place that people can get to conveniently by Car or Public Transportation? Do you check to see what parking is like in the area (for those that drive)? Do you check to see if Public Transportation is still operating at the hour your show is supposed to end? For example, shows in my area are usually from 10 PM to 2 AM, and certain places are not located near a Train Station (which operates 24 hours), and you can only get to a place by Bus, and some Bus Lines stop operating after Midnight or 1 AM (which would force a person to spend extra money for a Cab ride home)?

3) Do you know what the basic Drink prices are? Is this a Neighborhood Bar that charges average prices for Drinks, or is this a Café or Restaurant or Night Club, where the prices may be slightly higher (or ridiculously over-priced)? Do you know if the place raises the prices of their drinks, or just does not offer any Drink Specials just because it’s a Karaoke night? Or, if you were unaware of this, if someone that comes to your show mentions that the Bar is doing that, do you talk to the Bar about this?

Some things you might be aware of and other things you might not. For example, Item 3… A lot of KJs may find gigs at places that they have never patronized. They might only be there for their show and nothing more. They might not drink at their show (such as me… I only drink Soda when I’m doing a show), or they may get free drinks all night from the Bar (just because they are there doing a show). Thus, they can be oblivious to whether drinks are reasonably priced or over-priced. And, this is not a question that I would ask when looking to be hired (“What do you charge for your drinks?”). As for Items 1 and 2, well, those are things that I do consider when soliciting my services as a KJ. I try to find places that have plenty of space for me to work with. I won’t even walk into a place if I can’t find convenient parking. As for the Public Transportation availability, I do try to find places that are at least near a Bus or Train Line.

These are just some factors that contribute towards the lack of attendance at a show. Some people are not willing to travel far to go to a Karaoke show. Of course, there are also some KJs out there which people will come to their shows no matter where they are located (conveniently or not). Some people don’t like to deal with a small crowded Bar. Some people are only willing to spend a certain amount of money for a Drink. They may come to your show once, but when they feel that these things are taking away from them enjoying the evening, they might not be willing to come back again.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:44 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Just pay me the 250.00 for 3 hours and I give you the hardest rocking show in town. In a perfect world I'm playing the ballroom at the Bel Aire Hilton everynight, BUTTTTTTTTTTTT its not always that way. Aim high but be humble. Do you best everynight and you can turn some dump into THEE place to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 12:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

That didn't really answer the question. I didn't ask what your idea of the ideal gig was. Or, are you just saying that you'll take whatever comes your way no matter what? I already said that this has nothing to do with what kind of show you run (or what kind of show you can turn it into). Just because a place might be small or inconvenient to travel to, does not make it a Dump or a Dive.

Last edited by Cueball on Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:49 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I'll scope out the place first. It needs to be big enough that you can get enough people in to make it pay. Public transportation isn't that big of a thing in Albuq. like it might be in NYC. Most everybody uses private. What part of town it's in is a factor. I don't want to leave my vehicle somewhere where I'm constantly wondering if someone's trying to steal it, and those areas may be hard to attract the following I want. Another thing I do is not hit on a venue who already has a karaoke show, unless they contact me saying they are making a change. One other thing is to check out the interior so you know where you'd be set up and where the speakers will be, TV's, etc. so you have a good idea of the acoustics etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:53 pm 
For me there I alot of considerations of doing a show in any venue that I have to bring systems into. lighting, how much is too much, sound, Again how much is overkill.. Cause I realistically do it on a cost of labor - vs- income basis and show a profit on the show? is the amount of power available make my needs? is it clean? is the place big enough for my set up? does it have a violent history? security? are they paying thier entertainment? what is thier theme for thier club? What is thier reputation? Do they pay part of the advertizing? Is the staff friendly?

Seriously alot of a questions to get answered before you put in a written proposal into a club to do a show there.. I do all my new shows by written and video - DVD proposal. a new tool. :wink:

I just spent a ton on doing the arizona division dvd promotional package for new clubs and shows. and it turned out real slick.. I did all the music on it. not only mixed it but wrote it. and it's not country.. :shock: AMAZING! there are some great video shots of the clubs on it.. I'll let you know when they come back from duplication.. all I have is the glass master for now..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:58 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Thank you Ron and Brian. That's a little bit more of what I was looking for in an answer.... Not "In a perfect world..."

Ron, you bring up an interesting point about transportation to a show. I guess it's not as much a factor in your area as it might be in mine. It's funny tho... I could see people go to one show because they live within 2 miles of the place, but have a show that's 5 or 6 miles away, and it's too far for them.

Brian, you brought up a few things that I was thinking about, but couldn't think of how to word it. Very good point about whether a place is paying their entertainment. I know, in my area, we don't work with contracts... just a handshake. I do know of one or two Bar owners that got slick with a few KJs, and would short them on their price. For places like thet, which I know have a reputation for screwing the KJs, I refuse to work there unless they sign a contract with me.

Also, those are other good factors to consider before approaching a place... Does it have a violent history? Well, if you don't know, you're just going to have to take a gamble on the place. Then go with your gut after your first show. If you don't feel comfortable at a place, you can always quit. I did that once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:37 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I always check out a new venue before playing there but I've never turned a venue down without giving it a chance to see me work and for me to check the place out for myself!

Some of the roughest looking places can be full of nice people so I would sooner do a month there as a trial than turn it down.

If you're upfront about it with the management they think it's fair!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:03 am 
Folks,
Before I sign a deal with a place I get to know it.. and REAL well too..
ALL my Arizona shows I have been in them for atleast 2 weeks to a month or have had a trusted partner in there who knows what I want out of the place look at the show or venue before we try to bid the place.
and I'm the final voice to say whether the venue will work or not.
I'm usually the first and or the last person who works the place and deals with club or venue management to sign the contracts.