KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Speaker Repair Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Speaker Repair
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Sammy and Others...
Had a situation this Sat at my show, My music kep cutting in and out --
At first I thought it was the my AMP After trouble shooting the amp and speaker wires I determined it was ONE of the 1/4" input jacks on the back of my Peavey SP5G. I was able to get thru the show as the speaker has (2) main inputs in the back so I just switched and it seemed to work fine.
:?: Question is this....A dj friend of mine said that all I have to do is take the plate off the speaker and "squeeze" the 1/4" input a little as it probably was loose or not connecting all the time to the 1/4" plug.
I'm a little skeptical about taking the plate off the back of the speaker but then again I don't want to to send it out to be repaired which could take 2 weeks and cost $100 if its just a little SQUEEZE thing ? Any suggeston or experiance with this type of problem?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:21 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

When I was running 1/4 jacks I ran into the same problem a few times - Seems too simple but there isn't too much too it.

That's why I changed my plugs to Neutrix / Speakon ends.

Even though 1/4's do the job the power transfer points are minimal.

Sammy

The opinions of Sammy do not necessarily reflect the views of the Karaoke Scene Magazine - Advice is given with a sence of humor and should be taken accordingly - If you have problems setting the clock on your VCR - You've come to the right place

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:04 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
The SP-5 1/4" 'plate' - as your "dj" friend calls it - is the crossover. All the components are sealed. You can unscrew the entire assembly to get to the 1/4" jack, but you will find that it is also a sealed piece that would'nt be able to "be squeezed".
You can order the part from Peavey & replace it yourself, provided you know a basic level of de-soldering & soldering. This will be ALOT cheaper & quicker than sending the entire unit back for repair.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lon / Sam

Since I'm not using the "crossover" and only using (1) of the (2) main inputs Do you think it is "wise ' to continue using the speaker plugging into the "GOOD" jack? I'm not the type to "fix it myself" so eventually I will have to send it out for repair but ONLY WHEN ABSOLUTLEY NEEDED.
As long as I'm not doing any harm I would like to continue to use the speaker as is?

I have as a back up speaker a 15" Yamaha also 8ohms ..ANY HARM IN RUNNING 2 DIFFERANT SPEAKERS IN 1 SET UP ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:41 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

If it were me, I'd do like Sammy said, and go ahead and fix the first one. The problem with what you're saying is, how long will it take for the second jack plug to get hozzed up. At that point you won't have the option of using another input. Go ahead and fix the main input and your problems will be solved. Also, you won't have to sit around worrying about it all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:12 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

JAMKARAOKE wrote:
Lon / Sam

Since I'm not using the "crossover" and only using (1) of the (2) main inputs Do you think it is "wise ' to continue using the speaker plugging into the "GOOD" jack?

Well, first off you ARE using the crossover by plugging into the full range jacks - you aren't bi-amping - which bypasses the crossover to connect directly to the drivers. When bi-amping you are using an external crossover.
Second, the SP line adds two full range inputs mainly for the purpose of jumping to another speaker (a through jack so to speak). These two jacks are parralleled so you won't hurt anything by plugging into the good jack. There is no need to hurry & get it fixed, chances are the other one won't fail.
As far as using two different speakers, as long as the ohms are the same, you'll be fine, the only bad thing is they WILL sound different, one may sound louder than the other or crisper/muddier/tinny/boomy/etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Thanks Guys ..I think I'm going to roll the dice and continue using the speaker as is , like I mentioned I do have a brand New Yamaha sv15-4 that I bought as an emergency back up and I plan to buy another one to have a "back up set" as soons as $$$$ allows me to....
Thanks Again :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:13 pm 
I agree with doing the NL-4 speakon modification as sammy said..

Now there is a "metal" version of them for both the Panel and the Cable ends and the model Numbers I don't have off the top of my head even though I just ordered 4 cases of them. I'll have to research in my orders.. but they are out and are much more diffacult to break unlike the nylon ones. which is a headache in itself. I use both the NL-4 And the NL-8 depending on the system. Most of you only will need the NL-4, Unless you are tri-amping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Guys

Can the Peaveys be modified to handle the speakon connections?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:21 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Anything can be modified to handle Speakon connectors. You need to have a basic knowledge of wiring to be able to interface with the crossover. Don't drill the hole into the crossover. Don't just connect the speakers to the connector unless you are using an external crossover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:26 pm 
Yes Jam,
In my shop I do it all the time.. I have done 16 boxes in the last 8 weeks.
of Brand new Peavey SP-5's, and this Morning a pair of Yorkville's.