KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Need opinions on Karaoke Players - Any input appreciated. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:29 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Okay guys first of all I'm new to this forum but I've just spent the last couple of hours reading the topics. Very informative, especially this hardware section.
Breifly let me tell you guys my karaoke history.
For most of my life after the age of 21 (im now 34) I've just sang karaoke at few bars off and on maybe 2 times a year (thats like not even singing at all). Last year for Christmas my wife wanted a karaoke machine so we went to Walmart and bought a Memorex karaoke player (I know this is bad but bear with me.) We both came to love Karaoke singing nw and we frequent the bars now more often now that we have some confidence.)
Anyways I sold my machine this christmas for 3/4 of what I had paid for it (I was amazed to get this much for it.)

Anyways to get past telling you guys the story of my life here are my questions. If everyone that reads could comment even briefly it would help me.

1. Which player would you chose to create a decent home system b/n these units. Jvc 3 drawer xl-mv303, the Rsq equivilant plrq333, or one of these new cavs jb99 units. Of these units what would you recommend?

2. Of these units have you played back ups (burns) of your original cds in them with no problems. I have read some reports of the rsq not playing back ups very well and have even heard in another forum about people having to adjust the laser in their JVC unit. I sure do not want to have to adjust the laser in a brand new unit, when my old memorex player that I sold would play them perfectly. I don't care about any of the legal jargon of back ups since I do not plan on getting into the kj'ing business.

3. What is the cheapest place with out a doubt to buy equipment in the US?
I've looked at expresskaraoke.com and shopkaraoke.com and karaoke.com. Are one of these what most of you guys use or is their a better source.

4. One last comment (hope i'm not wearing you guys out). I've found thru reading the topics what probably blew one of my stereo speakers up. Singing karaoke thru these speakers. I'm going to buy a dedicated set of speakers maybe within a few months, but I'm going to try to get my one speaker that is blown repaired. Whats the best way to take it easy on these stereo speakers after their repaired. I read something about keeping the treble turned down. Any other tips.

I know this is a lot of questions to answer but any tips to any of the questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:38 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The JVC and RSQ are basically the same. The only difference I know of is the JVC has a glass laser lens while the rsq has a plastic one. They'll play burns (I certainly hope your "burns" you're talking about is that you have copied them in order to protect your originals rather than bootlegging a burned copy - that would violate the copywrite laws. For that matter, some would say burns for backups does too) just be careful of the copywrite laws please. Probably not a big deal for home use, but makes a big difference if you're considering taking them out for business.

Personally, I'd much prefer the JVC or RSQ to the cavs. However, ya ask 15 people and you'll get 15 different opinions.

You definately want separate spkrs for your karaoke. A lot of spkrs do well on prerecorded media, but don't respond well to the mix of recorded and live as is karaoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:08 pm 
Ron and I agree on that one pretty much simple as a premise..

JVC... all the way.. unless you are using DVD. then I'd go RSQ-505 food for thought.

Now also to plant a seed..

have you ever thought about this.. checking in your local karaoke shops for machines.. most are just about the same in price by the time you are done with shipping and tax. :wink: please do the math... if you really work them you can save some dough and I don't mean go back to walmart either.. :twisted: I have one here in NM that competes directly with them and dollar for dollar usually stuffs them and i mean not on the Web.. but on the retail side. With the exception of thier "Loss Leaders" but they know the games that are played and do business on the 'Up and Up' so remember that. :wink:

I wish you good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:31 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I have had the JVC triple for almost two years, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It has never had a problem reading any cd and it does not exhibit that terrible jarbled graphics that VocoPro units sometimes do. I cannot comment of the CAVS unit as far as quality is concerned. The RSQ CDG single and triple units are built using the same schematics as the JVC.

Get speakers designed for vocal reproduction or live performance. They are many choices depending on your budget or application. Peavey has some light inexpensive speakers call pro-lite. I believe they are availabe with a 10", 12" or 15" woofer. These obviously do not have a black widow woofer, but should do fine for home use and parties. I bought the RSQ karaoke speakers. They are great for home use. I wired them into my home theater sub and the sound improved dramatically. They sounded pretty good on their own as well. I know most on here would frown on buying these" Karaoke only speakers". But, trust me. Unless you are planning on going pro these will suffice. In the meantime don't overdrive your speakers. Chances are your speakers were blown by distortion. Avoid shouting into the mic, dropping the mic, and any and all sources of feedback. Cheap mics will cause feedback if you get anywhere near the speakers. Also try not to use surround sound modes if you are getting feedback
If you are going to do the home karaoke thing right, you will also need a mixer. You really do not need to go to town with a big board with sliders and 16 channels. A simple karaoke mixer will do. The unit should include bass and trebble controls for the music as well as the mics, echo, delay, and repeat controls, master music and master mic volume controls and individual microphone volume controls. If your existing amp supports more than one set of main speakers, you should be set to go.

Check the online karaoke retailers such as Ace Karaoke and DTS. Call them and speak to a rep. The usually match prices. You could also go to your local music store and bargain. I know that Sam Ash locally sells the JVC triple player. You can probably negotiate a deal if you buy some kind of package there that includes pa speakers and maybe even a small mixer with effects.
You can also try Ebay, but you have to know what you need and the street price beforehand to ensure you're getting a good deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:13 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
The JVC & RSQ are both manufactured by JVC. JVC makes the player & RSQ is licensed to put their name on it. They are in fact the same unit.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:15 pm 
Lon,
One exception also.. RSQ has a Plastic Laser eye :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:50 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
but for home use, who really gives a darn about that plastic eye?? LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:03 pm 

Thanks for all the feedback. The first reply that I got said yes to the JVC or RSQ being able to play back ups on cd-r's. Does every one else agree with this. Do you guys have personal experience of owning one of these triple tray JVC units.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:29 pm 
to Joey.. yeah and I like them.. dafinately worth the money

to Matt: Heard the karaoke joke behind Cryatal Gayle's "Don't make my Brown Eyes Blue?" it kinda follows the same theory behind the song parody "Don't Make My Glass Eye Plastic" I'll mail ya the lyrics and the joke some time.. it's a riot! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
when I was driving in the snow yesterday, I rewrote the lyrics to "I Can't Drive 55" and to "The Girl Gets Around", both originally by Sammy Hagar.

Some of the language isn't appropriate for here, but I thought myself pretty clever with the titles "I can't drive 25" and "The Car Spins Around"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:25 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The JVC/RSQ are sure bets..you can't go wrong with these units
Never had a problem with either of my JVC 3 drawer units playing any discs whether original or back up "burns". BUT if you eventually plan to play some DVD's ..do look at the RSQ unit as suggested.

If your serious about karaoke at home you might need to invest into speakers mixer and amps...Look at other threads here great advice from
the pro's

Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:57 am 

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm going to go ahead and order karaoke player today based on the replys I've gotten.
I 'll definitly have to get some decent speakers and amp for Karaoke since I think I've already blown one of stereo speakers.