KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Gemini pmx 3501 Mixer Buzz with Laptop Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:07 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Anyone got a clue as to why when I attach my laptop soundcard to my gemini pmx 3501 mixer it buzzes-hmmms? Even with the mixer off. Here's the catcher- I attach the same setup through my Behringer mixer and no noise? Don't figure.

I noticed that the antique gemini pmx 3501 has a ground on it- should I ground this? To what?

Thanks to all of you who take their time out to help.

Swampy

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Is your DJ mixer grounded??? most are not.. or don't run balanced inputs or outputs... :wink: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:30 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

It's got a nub that states it's a ground- but what do you ground it too? :?: :idea: Balanced inputs? :shock: Dunno Like I said it's an older unit but I got a sweet packaged deal that is just too good to list or believe. action21.com got pics-all including lights and 370 CD's for $1500. I just would like to find some info on the equipment-nothing online so far.

The Mixer has 2 Gemini cdj-1100 CD players attached to it and it plays thru a carver amp with no buzz or humm into Bullfrogs 18"&15". I'm going totally digital with laptop and PCDJ-FX, KJ but would like to keep the old Gemini stuff around too.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amp chassis, Rack rails., any piece of equipment that has 3 pronged power cord.. If you don't know how to do it go to your dealer and have them show you how to do it right..

Last edited by BeachHeadBum on Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:47 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
If it's a DJ mixer, the ground "nub" you are talking about is for hooking a turntable to it.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

then it's a cable situation.. I don't know that model of mixer.. I use a Stanton DJ Mixer and it's all balanced outs.. it all goes to my Yahama Console.. mic level in at +4 db. through compressors which the levels in and out are switchable. I tend to run a real hot unit level wise and everything gets tamed out at the electronic crossover.

"I gots to have those toys!!!" but it's a clean sounding set of toys!!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:37 am 

i am not sure if it's the laptop too, because when i connect a dell laptop to my system, it went crazy, like putting a ringing cell phone next to the computer speaker. now i have a medion laptop and everything is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:29 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

You might try the following:

Disconnect everything except the mixer and laptop. I assume that the CD Players are still connected. Ideally both should be on a wood desk or other insulator. With the PC and mixer plugged into the same outlet strip see if the hum still exists. If so reverse one of the plugs. If both have three prongs you will need a 3 to 2 prong adapter.

If this eliminates the problem then add the other devices one at a time until it reoccurs.

Note, the adapter isn?t something you want to user permanently, this is just for testing.

Many laptops, especially older ones, generate a lot of noise and don?t do well around sound equipment. Since yours works with the other mixer chances are this isn?t the case.

Should this not solve the problem then more information would be needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:55 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

After reading what I wrote, I realized that I what I said and wanted to say were two different things. Regarding the following “If so reverse one of the plugs. If both have three prongs you will need a 3 to 2 prong adapter.”

If you have two prongs on a cord, then these are the ones to reverse. With out making some measurements it is not a good idea to do so with three prong plugs.

If you have three prong plugs then the 3 to 2 prong adapter is used to “lift” or remove the third prong. Grounding is important, but sometimes too much causes problems. Removing the third prong, a safety ground, sometimes eliminates a source of ground loops.

Chances are you can get the mixer and laptop to play together but it may take some work.