KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sound Choice New Music - UPDATE Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
We wanted to give you an update about where we stand with the Sound Choice® ADVANCE program.

Despite the extension we provided, we are still well short of the minimum number of reservations required in order to justify making a new Digital Album, and we aren't likely to reach the goal. We're keeping the campaign open just in case.

Additionally, while we are moving steadily through the process of new blanket licenses with the major publishers (and we have been in discussions about specific songs with independents), our licensing has not progressed to the point where we feel comfortable identifying potential new tracks.

So, here's what we're going to do, assuming we don't hit the minimum of 320 reservations by the Friday deadline.

1) We are still committed to making new music. Our production timeline is getting stretched out for reasons beyond our control (licensing, which is always an issue).

2) Assuming we can make the numbers work, we'll be putting some of our own money into the production process, but not until we've got licensing nailed down.

3) We're planning a crowdfunding campaign that we expect to kick off next month, with at least some of the proceeds going toward new production. We're planning to have some cool premiums in return for contributions--more on that later.

4) Most importantly, since we won't be moving forward with the project on the contract terms, everyone who bought in will be entitled to a refund.

On that last point, however, there's a twist. If you want a refund, you'll get it, no questions asked. But if you don't mind letting your money ride for a little while, we'll give you 12 credits toward future songs if you forego your refund (that's assuming our credit system is 1 credit per track; if it's something else, you'll get the equivalent). Those credits will never expire. And if you change your mind at any point before we announce final plans for the start of actual production--and we'll give you a heads-up when that happens--you can still request a refund, no questions asked.

Since we're planning for tracks to cost about $3 each, getting them for $2.50 will be a bargain.

We'll post more details once the campaign is officially over, along with a link for you to make an election as to what you'd like--a refund or 12 credits per reservation.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:17 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
JimHarrington wrote:
We wanted to give you an update about where we stand with the Sound Choice® ADVANCE program.

Despite the extension we provided, we are still well short of the minimum number of reservations required in order to justify making a new Digital Album, and we aren't likely to reach the goal. We're keeping the campaign open just in case.

Additionally, while we are moving steadily through the process of new blanket licenses with the major publishers (and we have been in discussions about specific songs with independents), our licensing has not progressed to the point where we feel comfortable identifying potential new tracks.

So, here's what we're going to do, assuming we don't hit the minimum of 320 reservations by the Friday deadline.

1) We are still committed to making new music. Our production timeline is getting stretched out for reasons beyond our control (licensing, which is always an issue).

2) Assuming we can make the numbers work, we'll be putting some of our own money into the production process, but not until we've got licensing nailed down.

3) We're planning a crowdfunding campaign that we expect to kick off next month, with at least some of the proceeds going toward new production. We're planning to have some cool premiums in return for contributions--more on that later.

4) Most importantly, since we won't be moving forward with the project on the contract terms, everyone who bought in will be entitled to a refund.

On that last point, however, there's a twist. If you want a refund, you'll get it, no questions asked. But if you don't mind letting your money ride for a little while, we'll give you 12 credits toward future songs if you forego your refund (that's assuming our credit system is 1 credit per track; if it's something else, you'll get the equivalent). Those credits will never expire. And if you change your mind at any point before we announce final plans for the start of actual production--and we'll give you a heads-up when that happens--you can still request a refund, no questions asked.

Since we're planning for tracks to cost about $3 each, getting them for $2.50 will be a bargain.

We'll post more details once the campaign is officially over, along with a link for you to make an election as to what you'd like--a refund or 12 credits per reservation.

This is a good post, despite the bad news...

You are willing to throw your money behind the project, and that give me some confidence about eventually seeing some product from you.

A complete refund plan that gives people who kicked in options. Good to quiet some people down.

The crowd funding idea is worth a shot... I do believe you need to reach your market better. I wasn't even aware you've returned as SC/PEP until recently. I'm sure others out there are in the same place as I was.

$3.00 for a track isn't bad. Worth it to people who cherry pick, a bit expensive for people who want the entire CD. Might I suggest something like what KaraokeDownloads has, a tier system with the more credits you buy, the more discount the tracks are?

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing some product :D

(Edited: I really need coffee somedays)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:26 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
So how will the crowd fund work and how can people expect a return on their investment?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:39 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MrBoo wrote:
So how will the crowd fund work and how can people expect a return on their investment?

Crowdfunding is not an investment; instead, it's a contribution to help fund a specific project or goal. We would offer a number of premiums, which are thank-you gifts. They might include T-shirts or other merchandise, free product credits, on up to a thank-you credit at the end of specific tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:46 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
MrBoo wrote:

Crowdfunding is not an investment; instead, it's a contribution to help fund a specific project or goal. We would offer a number of premiums, which are thank-you gifts. They might include T-shirts or other merchandise, free product credits, on up to a thank-you credit at the end of specific tracks.

Thanks. I've heard the term but never really followed up on how it works.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:55 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
In other words give us you money and we will invest it in a good fast growing mutual fund making money off your money and then give you back your $30 retaining all the money we made off of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lone Wolf wrote:
In other words give us you money and we will invest it in a good fast growing mutual fund making money off your money and then give you back your $30 retaining all the money we made off of it.

No, that's not it at all. (What you're actually describing is how cash-value life insurance works.)

The theory behind crowdfunding is that you give money to support a cause or project, and the benefit you receive (in addition to some cool premiums) is that the cause or project you support gets funded and done.

In our case, the project would be making new SC music. You'd get the benefit of having that new music in the marketplace (as well as some credits that get you free copies, probably).

You might think it's a good idea. If you do, contribute or not, your choice.

You might think it's a bad idea. If you do, don't contribute. Also your choice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:21 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

JimHarrington wrote:

You might think it's a good idea. If you do, contribute or not, your choice.

You might think it's a bad idea. If you do, don't contribute. Also your choice.

I think this is best way to look at it. For one thing, I've said my piece on all this and to continue to bash the concepts de-values my opinion... In my opinion... Ha! None of this is my cup of tea, but there are KJs here and abroad that feel like they can benefit from new SC music so I would like to see them get their wish. And I think they would gain a marketing tool by being able to advertise that they have "new" SC music.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JimHarrington wrote:

Not surprising that you'd devise "a twist" --- to entice those that have already sent you money --- a plan for you to keep it.

Predictable.

I'll bet that a public "crowdfunding" offer won't restrict the sales of the product anymore to just "certified, licensed KJ's" so for those that accept this: they have your money and the rules have changed.

So the advantage of "having something your competitors don't have" goes right out the window because taking money from people through public crowdfunding -- when they would not be eligible to purchase the final product -- would seem a bit dishonest to me...

My advice (whether you solicited it or not) is to get a refund and use that money to purchase songs for your singers that they want.... today. If PEP puts out songs later, I'm sure that they'll take your money then too...

But if you're really insistent on handing out interest-free loans, I'm always available...

(the big difference here is that in the last 6 years, I've actually put out a fully-licensed disc.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:08 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
JimHarrington wrote:
They might include T-shirts or other merchandise, free product credits, on up to a thank-you credit at the end of specific tracks.

Can my thank you be a picture of a Yeti? :)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

Not surprising that you'd devise "a twist" --- to entice those that have already sent you money --- a plan for you to keep it.

Predictable.

I'll bet that a public "crowdfunding" offer won't restrict the sales of the product anymore to just "certified, licensed KJ's" so for those that accept this: they have your money and the rules have changed.

So the advantage of "having something your competitors don't have" goes right out the window because taking money from people through public crowdfunding -- when they would not be eligible to purchase the final product -- would seem a bit dishonest to me...

My advice (whether you solicited it or not) is to get a refund and use that money to purchase songs for your singers that they want.... today. If PEP puts out songs later, I'm sure that they'll take your money then too...

But if you're really insistent on handing out interest-free loans, I'm always available...

(the big difference here is that in the last 6 years, I've actually put out a fully-licensed disc.)

I'm really surprised. I thought you'd have nothing but good things to say.

</sarcasm>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:36 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
JimHarrington wrote:
MrBoo wrote:

Credits are good.. Mention at the end of certain tracks, interesting concept. I still if you reach a certain goal with the crowdfunding that you should do a 'music only' bonus track recorded by yourself, brian and kurt. I'd pay good money for the novelty factor.

As for the rest of it, at least there are options.

thanks for the update, i was beginning to wonder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:57 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
After thinking about what Chip said for a moment, I have to agree with him on the crowdfunding option. Most funding campaigns give you the actual product after they have reached their goal. They give "thank you" swag for going above the price level, but they still get the product that the company is trying to make.

The "Warm fuzzy feeling for us to get started" with no product attached to it is an option probably won't fly...unless it was for some kind of surgery or good cause.

So you most likely would have to give crowd funding people credits, or the entire CD if that's what you are trying for. That would be unfair to the people who have gone through the process to be the only people who have your new product.

I know this is a new plan/concept, and I'm sure the details aren't totally worked out, but crowd funding may not be the best option you are looking for. You might lose a little control over your product, and funders can get testy when they have to wait forever for something. I still think the best plan is to fund this project yourself, with whatever cash is required. You need to make a big statement to quiet the nay sayers... Dropping down a bunch of karaoke songs and getting out for sale ASAP will make a statement that truly says "We are BACK".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:13 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Well said Toastedmuffin, well said.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Unbelievable!! You fail on making your goal, so you want people to DONATE money to your cause?? REALLY?? Just close your doors!! You are FINISHED!! You are no longer a karaoke producer. Give it up and move along!! You didn't make 320. That is NOT a very big number. If you can't come up with 320 reservations, there is no reason to keep going, and it should tell you that SC is no longer relevant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
They might include T-shirts or other merchandise, free product credits, on up to a thank-you credit at the end of specific tracks.

How about an autographed one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:49 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
c. staley wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

How about an autographed one?

ok, now i don't care what side you are on, that was just damned funny.. geez i just about fell out of my chair from laughing so damned hard.

thanks

-james

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Jim, look...
at his point it becomes time to look from a business standpoint. even with most here and on other forums and facebook groups that have bought in are buying multiples (2,3,4 discs). this means that less than 50 people that are SC people like this idea. there is more going on. people are saying they think this is a bad move and the proof is in the fact that less than 50 people worldwide are behind it, and how many of them are like Chris who put in money saying "ah...what the hell....let's see what happens".?
the facts are SC made great quality music until the last few years (the producer changed and was excessively compressor happy) but otherwise they were more often than not the best choice sound wise. $3.00 per track while on the high side, is right in line with KV who has thousands of hosts buying from them daily (including many on here who go there FIRST). you are offering downloads and that is a huge step, but not fixing the problems.

so it's not the quality of the material that people do not like,
it's not the pricing that people do not like,
it's not the delivery method that people do not like,

so what is it? look at what is left. it's not piracy, between the GEM, Certified, and HELP folks there is enough to get 320 orders (from the looks of the ordering patterns, that should be about 110 people or so, there are more than enough supporters to make it work, but even most of THEM don't want to touch this program. look deeper.

croudfunding? the entire advance program IS croudfunding. there are two primary types

Rewards Crowdfunding: entrepreneurs pre-sell a product or service to launch a business concept without incurring debt or sacrificing equity/shares.
Equity Crowdfunding: the backer receives shares of a company, usually in its early stages, in exchange for the money pledged.

PEP falls into the first category. where can you go croudfunding that does not go against the premise of "Sound Choice Advance reservations are available only to HELP licensees, GEM series licensees, Sound Choice Certified KJs, and verified original disc-based KJs."?

i'm not trying to be a d!ck here, it is just time that you guys sat down and really looked at what has stopped all your licensees and cert holders to run away.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Paradigm Karaoke, you are one of my favorite people here. You always say everything I want to say, in a much better way than I could say it. I go in with a machete, and hack and slash my way through an idea. You go in with surgical precision, and cut straight to the heart. I commend you!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:39 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
Jim, look... <snipped> i'm not trying to be a d!ck here, it is just time that you guys sat down and really looked at what has stopped all your licensees and cert holders to run away.

I don't believe they have gone any where. I do believe that today's SC purchaser is more cautious, particular and discerning than most music buyers. Give them time they will come around...... or maybe they won't.