KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - There's always one in the crowd Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Last show, a customer waited until I was already tearing down to come up and ask to sing. Mind you I was already putting equipment away, computers, sound system already powered off and disconnected. So it would have been a major issue to set it all back up. How would you deal with that.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:46 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
I'D TELL HIM TO COME BACK NEXT WEEK AND REQUEST TO SING EARLIER IN THE NIGHT. GOOD NIGHT AND DRIVE HOME SAFELY.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:52 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

KJKILLER wrote:
I'D TELL HIM TO COME BACK NEXT WEEK AND REQUEST TO SING EARLIER IN THE NIGHT. GOOD NIGHT AND DRIVE HOME SAFELY.

Exactly what I did and it was a she

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:31 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
Oh! If it was girl I'd probably hook everything back up and let her sing two songs. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
KJKILLER wrote:
Oh! If it was girl I'd probably hook everything back up and let her sing two songs. LOL

I'd probably do the same except ---- the issue with that circumstance is once you obliged her and let her sing, others still present in the bar would follow suit, and it would be hard to turn them down. So, be ready to extend a short singer's list.

That's why my answer would be a polite "Sorry, please be early next time". 8)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:07 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Happened to me tonight! This group had been in over half the night (on the dart side of the room), not having any interest in karaoke - literally the furthest board away. I don't typically go talk to people in the dart half (99% of the time they are there for darts only and the ones that do sing come up and put in slips). Last song was sung, mics off stands, all lights were off, tv's changed back and bar lights were being turned on. They come up to me asking if they can sing and got pissed that they couldn't and even further pissed when they couldn't buy their way into more singing for them. It wasn't like it was a busy night tonight either, about 15 singers total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 259 times
That would be unfair to all the other singers.

She should have shown up or put her song in earlier.

But if she had shown up 10 minutes before closing and put her song in, some of you would have put her right in ahead of everyone else because "She hadn't sung a song yet and the other singers had already sung at least once" so giving her special treatment would not be unfair to the singers she jumped ahead of?

As Spock would say . . . "I fail to see the logic in that"

(Just stirring the pot! . . . Haven't had a rotation fight in here for some time now!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
I have no sympathy for people who decide they want to sing after I announce the final song... especially when they've been there all night! Seriously?? You've been there all night and decide you want to sing when I'm all done? And then get pissed when I say no?

Sorry, but I run the show, not you. Get pissed all you want, I really don't care.

Once I announce that we're out of time and have the last person come up to sing the final song... we're done! Offering me money to stay doesn't work either. And once I turn everything off, it doesn't get turned back on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:45 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

dsm2000 wrote:

But if she had shown up 10 minutes before closing and put her song in, some of you would have put her right in ahead of everyone else because "She hadn't sung a song yet and the other singers had already sung at least once" so giving her special treatment would not be unfair to the singers she jumped ahead of?
ok i'll play lol.
Once I call no more slips - doesn't matter if you've been there all night or got there 15 to 20 minutes ago. Once I have enough songs to take me to closing time - you are out of luck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:19 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
dsm2000 wrote:

(Just stirring the pot! . . . Haven't had a rotation fight in here for some time now!)

wtf are you talking about?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:16 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

dsm2000 wrote:

Here's a thought for that case, by denying that person who has come in 10 minutes before the show ends, you're denying them the chance to experience actually singing on the system and destroying any chance of them having any interest in coming sooner to sing on a possibly far superior sound system if they are the type that really cares about how THEY sound. I have had the experience of several singers who have come in late choose to come earlier the next time instead of hopping bars just because they preferred singing on my system over the ones that they were originally singing on. Turns out they weren't hopping trying to get extra songs in but looking for better sound.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:57 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Here's a thought for that case, by denying that person who has come in 10 minutes before the show ends, you're denying them the chance to experience actually singing on the system and destroying any chance of them having any interest in coming sooner to sing on a possibly far superior sound system if they are the type that really cares about how THEY sound. I have had the experience of several singers who have come in late choose to come earlier the next time instead of hopping bars just because they preferred singing on my system over the ones that they were originally singing on. Turns out they weren't hopping trying to get extra songs in but looking for better sound.
Doesn't matter, once I have enough songs to close the show - that's it. Only slips I take are song changes from those who already have one up!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:06 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I shut down my request station when I have enough songs to finish the night. If all the songs are singers who haven't sung yet then I don't take any verbal or paper requests and I definitely do not turn the request station back on no matter what. The singer has until 2 songs away to change their songs otherwise they have to sing what is in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:42 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
I shut down my request station when I have enough songs to finish the night. If all the songs are singers who haven't sung yet then I don't take any verbal or paper requests and I definitely do not turn the request station back on no matter what. The singer has until 2 songs away to change their songs otherwise they have to sing what is in.
Why? If they want to change something last minute, it takes less than a couple seconds? Many people will change it up at the last minute to go with a flow. That kind of restriction I never understood (except with disc based kj's).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
The singer has until 2 songs away to change their songs otherwise they have to sing what is in.

Here's the scenario that I picture...

Singer: Do you think I could change my song request?
Danny: No.
Singer: Why not?
Danny: Because, you didn't change it in time?
Singer: In time for what?
Danny: Look, you can't change it and that's the end of it.
Singer: But it only takes a few seconds.
Danny: I don't care. Those are my rules.
Singer: You know, you're a complete a$$hole.
Danny: So I've been told.
Singer: And I'm never coming back here again. You are a total dickhead.
Singer then spits in Danny's face and walks away in disgust.

Danny, are you happy with yourself? Isn't our goal as a KJ to make our customers happy? What would be the big deal to change the song? It only takes seconds and you'd be making your singer happy. Now, the word is going to spread that you're a dickhead and will probably lose some customers all because of your stubbornness. So sad. What has the karaoke world become?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:10 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Alan B wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
The singer has until 2 songs away to change their songs otherwise they have to sing what is in.

Here's the scenario that I picture...

Singer: Do you think I could change my song request?
Danny: No.
Singer: Why not?
Danny: Because, you didn't change it in time?
Singer: In time for what?
Danny: Look, you can't change it and that's the end of it.
Singer: But it only takes a few seconds.
Danny: I don't care. Those are my rules.
Singer: You know, you're a complete a$$hole.
Danny: So I've been told.
Singer: And I'm never coming back here again. You are a total dickhead.
Singer then spits in Danny's face and walks away in disgust.

Danny, are you happy with yourself? Isn't our goal as a KJ to make our customers happy? What would be the big deal to change the song? It only takes seconds and you'd be making your singer happy. Now, the word is going to spread that you're a dickhead and will probably lose some customers all because of your stubbornness. So sad. What has the karaoke world become?

I refuse to do anything that interferes with the singing time of all of my singers period. My rule of not doing it as they are coming up to sing keeps all the other singers happy for not wasting their time. Only exception is if it's already in their que. Then it's not a waste of time. But if I have to take the time to search for the song no way I am going to waste the other singer's time to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Okay since I only take requests via phone app or kiosk and the singing order is available via the audience monitor and the phone app. They have to come and ask me to either change my next song to the one that I just put in or put the song that I just put in in front of my next song. I still won't make the change after I have called them up to sing. I should also say that if it's not already in my library then it has to wait until I find it and get it before they get to sing it and I will not hold up the show waiting for their song to download.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:33 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
What the point of ur story...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:19 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 57 times
I can comfortably say that it happened to me 5 out of 8 times. This was even after warning people I am directed to cut it no later than 15 mins after 1:00AM. Does not matter. By that time those in the crowd that did not put up or only got to sing once or came in because this was their last stop for the night already have had too much to drink and needed an Uber or Lyft to get home anyway.

All you can do is smile and say come back in next time a little earlier and put a request in. The older people with jobs and accompanying friends nearly always offer money.

The Snowflake generation thinks entitlement gets them in.

I really don't miss dropping the weekly drunk crowd bar gigs for the occasional private gigs at
all.

I also noticed when I had 30-50 singers in a night I worked harder and got tipped less because people did not get to sing as much as they liked. Bar tenders and servers made more than I while their investment was simply the clothes on their backs and if it were not for me they would not be making as much as they are. Do you think any ever offered to share or say thanks for helping them make money? Only one. Jesse did the only time he covered for the regular bartender.

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! ----A. Einstein
Double bubble, toil and trouble ----W. Shakespeare & Walt Disney
I hate it when I get on FaceBook ----Me
Karaoke might be Groundhog Day ----?
Of All the Martial Arts, Karaoke Inflicts the Most Pain ----?