KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - New DJ/KJ booth Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New DJ/KJ booth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:59 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
The new booth/facade is completed finally, and I am stoked to show it off starting this weekend!! This has been a long slow process getting things together and scraping enough money up to make it happen. But it's here!! Yay!!!

Pics to come!! I hope you all like it (well, at least some of you :D ) Honestly, I impressed myself in how it turned out.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: New DJ/KJ booth
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
I need a new project as well, so I'll be anxious to see the pics. Perhaps I can steal an idea or two.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:41 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I will try and post pics this Saturday :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:25 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Hopefully this works this time. But here are a few pics of the new booth and stage set up.

Attachment:
-1255959163_20200116_202930_2455006_resized.jpg
-1255959163_20200116_202930_2455006_resized.jpg [ 509.98 KiB | Viewed 34494 times ]

Attachment:
-1259653247_20200116_204010_2583457_resized.jpg
-1259653247_20200116_204010_2583457_resized.jpg [ 502.03 KiB | Viewed 34494 times ]

There are lots more pics, but you get the idea.
The booth is 48" tall and 62" wide and is an aluminum frame backed with lycra fabric on velcro. Lighting behind illuminates through the fabric. I have a 30"X60" folding table for my gear. I do not have to use the facade if I choose. The TV is a 32" 720P. I use an HDMI splitter to send signals to both the tv's (booth and stage). The frame and tv together weight about 35 pounds.

I built the stage riser several years ago for the bar. It's small, but does the trick. It measures 6 foot by 8 foot, and it stays at the bar permanently.

The lighting is a simple 10 foot truss that tears down easily. I have attached a double curtain rod to hang the curtains. There is up lighting and down lighting behind the curtain, giving a glow effect. Time to set up or tear down the stage lights and curtains is about 10 minutes.

The tv monitor is simply a conductors stand cut down on the top part. It has four holes drilled into into it to match the four holes in the back of a flat screen tv. I use a 28" 720P TV rather than a computer monitor.

Total set up or tear down of the entire rig is about 45 minutes

Tell me what you think and give me some feedback even tho what is built is done, no changing.

There is a few things to explain, like the bar is a small, old dive bar that is in need of major upgrades.
Also, you can't see some of the lights in the pics, but they all work great and give a cool effect.
There are additional lights that hang from a truss that is attached to the side walls. The lights shine directly at the stage or in any direction I want. The truss is also permanently mounted at the bar for whoever wants to use it.
Set up at this bar isn't very flexible, too small of an area to make it look like it fits right, but it works for now. The end results were meant to be used at weddings, corporate parties, etc. But is flexible in its use at any venue. I can use all or part of the entire set up at any time.

Last edited by mrscott on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:53 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

As soon as I figure out how to resize some more pics, I will post some better ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:02 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

A couple more pics.

Attachment:
20200117_231558.jpg
20200117_231558.jpg [ 109.34 KiB | Viewed 34479 times ]

Attachment:
20200118_002409.jpg
20200118_002409.jpg [ 119.1 KiB | Viewed 34479 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:14 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Oh, this part is for those who are wondering...

The kiosk is not set up yet. I have everything to get it done (except a small table). I still have to learn how to use Siglos better and proficiently before I introduce the kiosk. That shouldn't take long, but at this venue, there is no need for a kiosk, they aren't that advanced, they still want books. I will eventually train them to make the adjustment when I am comfortable making the switch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:26 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
That is pretty awesome mrscott! Great build! I'm sure the singers love it up on your stage with the lighting in the background!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:46 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

RLC wrote:
That is pretty awesome mrscott! Great build! I'm sure the singers love it up on your stage with the lighting in the background!

I have only had the opportunity to use it for one night at the local bar. I think they liked it a lot. It seemed to make the energy in the room go way up. Even one of regular singers noted how it made the night more special.

I want to set up the entire booth, lighting, curtains, etc. in a more attractive setting(s) to get some really good pics so I can get the brochures and website done. I really don't want pictures of some dirty, rundown establishment adorning my website or advertising. I am working on this very thing, but it does take time and a lot of things have to come together to make it happen too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:05 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 111 times
Very Nice!!! you've taken a very bland area of that place and put a huge upgrade for the singers to feel they are the show!!! I'm impressed!!! Looks great!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:18 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

sanj wrote:
Very Nice!!! you've taken a very bland area of that place and put a huge upgrade for the singers to feel they are the show!!! I'm impressed!!! Looks great!!!

Thanks a bunch, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I have always put my singers needs in front of my own. I know hosts that only do the very minimum, and it reflects poorly in the karaoke world. I feel the customers are worth so much more than a lot of the hosts deliver.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:31 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
That is awesome mrscott. You did an amazing job!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:43 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
That is awesome mrscott. You did an amazing job!!!

Thank you Alan :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
Without question, the classiest Karaoke/DJ set-up I have ever seen. Kudos.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Is this something permanent for this particular venue or do you have to break it down after your show?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
Is this something permanent for this particular venue or do you have to break it down after your show?

I only have to tear it down if she has another event (band, craft night). Otherwise, it can stay at the bar. I would tear it down if I need it myself elsewhere. It will take me about 45 minutes to tear down and another 45 to set back up again. Not horrible, but everything is light weight, so at least it's easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 81 times
Mrscott it looks great and as others have already said it's very much a class act.

There is one thing I would recommend however. Look at the last two pictures. Both have the singers lit from the waist down while from the waist up they are back lit and their face is in shadow. What I would recommend would be to take your front light(s) cut the brightness down and tilt up to light the singer and not the floor of the stage (add a light if needed). If the lights have a gel frame holder use it. Get a diffusion gel (they're fairly cheap), this will soften the light, spread it out a bit and help keep from blinding the singer should they look directly into the light.

Looking at the pictures that would be my only suggestion, because other than that, I think you pretty much nailed it. Good Job!

KarenB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:13 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

KarenB wrote:
Mrscott it looks great and as others have already said it's very much a class act.

There is one thing I would recommend however. Look at the last two pictures. Both have the singers lit from the waist down while from the waist up they are back lit and their face is in shadow. What I would recommend would be to take your front light(s) cut the brightness down and tilt up to light the singer and not the floor of the stage (add a light if needed). If the lights have a gel frame holder use it. Get a diffusion gel (they're fairly cheap), this will soften the light, spread it out a bit and help keep from blinding the singer should they look directly into the light.

Looking at the pictures that would be my only suggestion, because other than that, I think you pretty much nailed it. Good Job!

KarenB

I agree with that, the lights that are not shown that are in front of the singer on the truss up near the ceiling need to be tilted up just a bit. I just have been too lazy to too it is all. They are LED par cans and I can change the color all I want so as to not blind the singers, although the light would be coming from up higher so as to not do that in the first place. Good suggestion. Thanks for the comments Karen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:25 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I adjusted the front lights last night. Makes a pretty big difference too.

Had a great night last night, word is getting out about the booth and the sound system. That makes me happy to know that my hard work and my vision of what I wanted to create does not go unnoticed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:51 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:

Had a great night last night, word is getting out about the booth and the sound system.

By the way, how's the Evolve 50 working out for you? Are your customers loving the sound?

I have had my Evolve 50 for about a year and a half now. You would think that the newness would have worn off by now and that I'd be used to the sound quality but let me tell you... I continue to be amazed by this system every time I use it. The sound coming out of this thing just blows me away.

A friend of mine who hosts karaoke uses 2 RCF J8's at his shows. His two speakers don't even approach the sound I get from just one Evolve 50. Anyway, the best investment I ever made. I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

...and your DJ booth looks awesome!