KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Disc Brands in SongBook Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Disc Brands in SongBook
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:22 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 26 times
Just wondering if you'd bother including DK Karaoke and Sweet Georgia Brown discs in your songbooks? They're quite old now but do fill a couple of holes with missing songs... Bit concerned about the quality of the tracks though!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:19 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Buster79 wrote:
Just wondering if you'd bother including DK Karaoke and Sweet Georgia Brown discs in your songbooks? They're quite old now but do fill a couple of holes with missing songs... Bit concerned about the quality of the tracks though!

This is the computer age. Some still identify brands while others leave the brands out of the whole picture and print only one instance of the song. The song ids really only serve the purpose of letting singers be able to choose their favorite version that they're used to singing with. I fall into the list only one version of the song to save on ink and paper. Primarily because most people don't know brand ids to begin with and there are a few that could overlap with each other if you're not careful enough to make sure that they don't like killer karaoke and karaoke kurrents. I would never remove actual files in case someone who knows brands ask for a specific brand, otherwise it's the best version

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:26 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 26 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Buster79 wrote:

This is the computer age. Some still identify brands while others leave the brands out of the whole picture and print only one instance of the song. The song ids really only serve the purpose of letting singers be able to choose their favorite version that they're used to singing with. I fall into the list only one version of the song to save on ink and paper. Primarily because most people don't know brand ids to begin with and there are a few that could overlap with each other if you're not careful enough to make sure that they don't like killer karaoke and karaoke kurrents. I would never remove actual files in case someone who knows brands ask for a specific brand, otherwise it's the best version

I'm looking at it from the point of having re-ripped my discs, and having these brands outstanding as I left them to last, wondering if its worth the effort of re-ripping 99 DKG and 68 SGB or not :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Buster79 wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:
Buster79 wrote:

I'm looking at it from the point of having re-ripped my discs, and having these brands outstanding as I left them to last, wondering if its worth the effort of re-ripping 99 DKG and 68 SGB or not :)

Personally I would go ahead and redo them. For the brand conscious sake. Each brand offers songs that some don't. Much easier to rip all than hunt for those that are not available elsewhere. Let your software sort through the duplicate songs. Compuhost does the best way of dealing with duplication by creating drop down expansions of each song with duplicate songs. Just click the white or grey button on the song and it expands to show the different brands of the song.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 4
Been Liked: 431 times
My books are expensive enough without adding extra pages because of multiple brands. They contain just one listing for each combined title/artist, with no publisher's designator. Generally speaking, I know what the better versions are, and those are what I normally cue up. The more experienced karaoke singers will sometimes ask for a particular publisher, in which case I'll accommodate them if I happen to have that version, or order it for the next show if I don't.

Having said all that, hard drive storage is cheap, so my advice would be to go ahead and rip the discs. You never know when some singer will actually request a SGB version.

[font=Times New Roman]"Growing Old may be mandatory... but growing UP is still optional."[/font]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:58 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Earl wrote:
My books are expensive enough without adding extra pages because of multiple brands. They contain just one listing for each combined title/artist, with no publisher's designator. Generally speaking, I know what the better versions are, and those are what I normally cue up. The more experienced karaoke singers will sometimes ask for a particular publisher, in which case I'll accommodate them if I happen to have that version, or order it for the next show if I don't.

Having said all that, hard drive storage is cheap, so my advice would be to go ahead and rip the discs. You never know when some singer will actually request a SGB version.
My books are approx 310 pages (155 double sided). I add the brand column (only list 1 brand not multiple) - when I took out that column, it dropped the count to 308 pages.

That said to the OP, both brands have their diamonds in the rough and would at least list the songs those brands have that you do not currently offer.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile