KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Mixing amplifier help Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mixing amplifier help
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:48 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Hi all,

I'm opening a karaoke box club with 5 small to medium size rooms. Concentrating right now on getting the audio equipment sorted out. Started with the speakers first as one does. I'm moving toward JBL JRX115 15 inch 250 watt speakers (great bang for the buck).

Next up is the mixing amp. Obviously, I need one in the 250-500 watt range. Tested Vocopro's latest and although OK, it just isn't what I'm looking for (now there's a big surprise). I'm wary of  other 'karaoke' mixing amps such as BMB, RSQ, API and AUDIO2000 although if anybody has any info on these brands that would be most helpful. I'd prefer to get a Yamaha, Mackie or even Behringer mixing amp but the problem is I've yet to find one that is in a box format rather than desk/console which is great for a KJ but no way for your average karaoke box customer who is used to a DVD type looking amp to play around with (basic manipulation of 4 dials for music, mic, echo, reverb).

Also, do you think I need to get a subwoofer with the JBL JRX 115?

Cheers

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:52 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
If you just setting up for karaoke 'boxes', then you will probably be fine with the 'karaoke' mixer amps that look like home units.  Easier to use for the general population than pro systems.  The actual size of the room & capacity will determine whether you'll need a sub or not.  Chances are i'd say you probably won't need one.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:04 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks Lonman,

I guess then it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in terms of quality in choosing betww BMB, RSQ, API and AUDIO2000.

As for the subwoofer, one room is 270 square feet for up to 12 people and the other 4 between 85-130 square feet for 6-10 people.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Boxman @ Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:04 pm wrote:
Thanks Lonman,

I guess then it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in terms of quality in choosing betww BMB, RSQ, API and AUDIO2000.

As for the subwoofer, one room is 270 square feet for up to 12 people and the other 4 between 85-130 square feet for 6-10 people.

I owned an old BMB aMixing amp and loved it,  sold it due to a divorce and the fact that I liked my other mixing amplifier better soundwise and control wise. The other amplifier was the cpa-240 made by CAVS. It allowed me to adjust how much echo processing each mike channel used, something I haven't been able to do with any mixer or mixer amp that I owned since.
I owned a mixer from audio2000 and wasn't impressed.
for cost I would go RSQ. For Quality I would choose BMB.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:35 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Cheers DannyG,

That narrows the choice down considerably. In fact, I was already leaning toward BMB and your input really helped.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:38 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Boxman @ Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:04 am wrote:
Thanks Lonman,

Hell for those sized rooms, the JRX115 are probably going to be overkill.  Look into the JRX112.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:47 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Yeah, I think I was exagerating with the 115's. Will most definitely take it down a notch to the 112's.

By the way, I'm new to the site but find it great. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yamaha and Peavy both make pretty decent stereo powered mixers.  Each channel is 300 watts.  Use one channel for the mains and one for your monitor.  

The chief advantage I see to a powered mixer is that each channel has separate EQ, volume, effects and monitor volume.  Plus there is an EQ for each output channel.  This gives you a lot of control.  It also helps reduce feedback if you know how to set the EQ properly.

The major drawback I've seen to the karaoke mixers is that while you can control the volume of each mic, the EQ is the same for all of the mics.  Each voice has a different vocal quality.  I think that the ability to adjust the EQ to the individual singer (especially if you've got a duet going) is important.

By the way, if you want to spend a few more bucks (around $700) get a Carvin powered mixer.  It is without a doubt the finest portable PA head I've ever heard.  Tremendous bang for the buck.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:58 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

He is looking for something that the general public would be able to use, not so much professional hosts since the karaoke rooms are basically rented out for small groups that run the gear themselves so the simpler the better for that kind of situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman @ 9th June 2006, 8:58 am wrote:
He is looking for something that the general public would be able to use, not so much professional hosts since the karaoke rooms are basically rented out for small groups that run the gear themselves so the simpler the better for that kind of situation.

And 5 sets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:44 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Exactly right Lonman and Jian but thanks anyways for the input Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:31 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

A  P410-805  system from Carvin may interest you. A 100w power amp and a pair of speaker to match.  All for $ 450

Cant post the link here , it will get deleted.