KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Mixer/Speaker combination Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:10 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Can anyone tell me if the combination of a Behringer Europower PMH518M 180W powered mixer and Skytec PA Loudspeakers 200W would work together and be suitable for a home karaoke system through a desktop computer. :talk:

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
That is a very basic, lower-end setup, but it will certainly work as long as you have a soundcard with suitable outputs from your computer. You can also just get an adapter and plug your computer up through the 1/8" audio out, but the quality would be much better if you get a soundcard that has RCA outs or even 1/4" outs.

Also, at 180 watts, don't plan on jacking up the volume very high and with those 10" speakers, don't plan on getting very much bass output. BUT that setup will do the basic job!!

ACTUALLY, after looking at the specs, the speakers are 200 watts each at 8ohms and the amp is 100 watts/channel at 8 ohms (180 watt/channel at 4 ohms). You will only be giving the speakers HALF of the power they need, which is a recipe for driver damage if you play at higher volumes and outputs.

I assume you are in the UK since it looks like that speaker is only made in the UK? You either need smaller speakers or a larger amp in that setup!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The Gemini GX200 speakers from this UK retailer are matched to that Behringer amp:

http://www.djkit.co.uk/acatalog/speakers_gemini.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:15 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks for the reply. How about if I used the Behringer 2031p Truth studio monitors with the Behringer Europower PMH518M   mixer would that produce better results?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:07 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Those don't go together at all. Those studio monitors are powered, so you wouldn't need a powered mixer to go along with the powered speakers. If you wanted to go with those speakers, you could just get a mixer and save some $$$.

Again, the downside of those speakers is that they have very small woofers, so you are not going to get much bass. You really can't get much bass in anything less than a speaker with a 12-15" woofer. Also, studio monitor speakers are meant to be used at nominal volumes. If you plan on jacking up your speakers, you really need something with a full horn, and not just tweeters.

Let me know how much you want to spend and I'll give you a few good options. Also, let me know where you are located so I can find suppliers near you (again, I suspect you are in Europe).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:42 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Thanks for the offer of help, I could really use it. As for a budget, I have around £150-£175 to spend on speakers. I'm really confused whether to go, Powered Mixer/Passive Speakers or Unpowered Mixer/Active Speakers.

By the way I am based in the UK