KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - mIRC Channel pays the fees to artists and publishers? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
c. staley wrote:
RebeccaB wrote:
Are you trying to say it's your channel C Staley?

Very funny. Actually, I have never posessed IRC software and I really have only a minimal understanding of how it works.

If you really want to talk to an expert about mIRC, torrents or the dark web, you'd have to ask Chris Avis.... He apparently has LOTS of experience with file sharing.

Now now.. He's being paid to surf the dark web.. Not fair..

As for mIRC, that's so 1990s..
Some of us grew up to be adults..

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 242 times
It's been a while since I've done anything with BKD, but I did all the typical things that everyone has mentioned i.e. the WHOIS, etc. but if my memory serves me correctly Dale Druid does not exist. It's been so long since I've done this and can't really remember what I had for breakfast let alone something I was doing 10 years ago, but I also seem to recall that the person who owns BKD is actually in either the Pacific Northwest or possibly Canada. In any event, we did try to go after this puke a while ago but to no avail. This jerk took our tracks and replaced the splash screens with his own BKD logos. Nobody has pissed me off more than this person has and I can assure you that if I can find a way to get this pr..k I'll go after him in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Bastiat, try what Wiz found: Dale Duguid, (702) 683-2724, 11139 Crimson Dusk Ct, Las Vegas

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Bastiat wrote:
... This jerk took our tracks and replaced the splash screens with his own BKD logos. Nobody has pissed me off more than this person has and I can assure you that if I can find a way to get this pr..k I'll go after him in a heartbeat.

Did you make a deal with Toptunes? I was on a cruise ship last year and the Top Tunes splash screen showed up on a bunch of songs.... but the rest was all you (PHM)....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:14 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

jdmeister wrote:

Oh, yes it is... he's being paid now... he used to do it for free.

chrisavis Jan. 2013 wrote:
Serve what on mIRC?

-Chris

chrisavis Jul. 2015 wrote:
I spent an hour yesterday trying to find the GEM for download at iRC and Torrent sites. I didn't find it. That isn't to say it isn't out there, but I couldn't find it easily...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:29 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
Did you make a deal with Toptunes? I was on a cruise ship last year and the Top Tunes splash screen showed up on a bunch of songs.... but the rest was all you (PHM)....

Geez I hope you're mistaken. The woman who purchased Top Tunes is a lawyer, so I hope she wouldn't be that stupid. No deals made with Top Tunes. I suspect that some people think that the Stellar catalog was forfeited with the lawsuit but nothing could be further from the truth. I still own the catalog as well as the Panorama catalog in its entirety. Hopefully she didn't think this has become "freeware". That would be a huge mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:37 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Bastiat wrote:
Quote:

Geez I hope you're mistaken. The woman who purchased Top Tunes is a lawyer, so I hope she wouldn't be that stupid. No deals made with Top Tunes. I suspect that some people think that the Stellar catalog was forfeited with the lawsuit but nothing could be further from the truth. I still own the catalog as well as the Panorama catalog in its entirety. Hopefully she didn't think this has become "freeware". That would be a huge mistake.

Lawyer?

Never mind, move along, nothing to see here..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:39 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:

What am I missing here? Why would anyone pay someone to search the "dark web" when there doesn't seem to be much to gain. I'm sure you can find anything you want on torrents but I don't understand how it would benefit anyone if you can't locate the source(s) that upload the files.

Last edited by Bastiat on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:45 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Chip .... did you actually see the PHM branding or are you just identifying the lyrics authoring with the PHM style. If so, I did author the lyrics for the first dozen or so Top Tunes discs (not the music) so if that's the case then they would be legitimate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Quote:
Lawyer?

What is that supposed to mean?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:50 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Bastiat wrote:
Quote:

What am I missing here? Why would anyone pay someone to search the "dark web" when there doesn't seem to be much to gain. I'm sure you can find anything you want on torrents but I don't understand how it would benefit anyone if you can't locate that source(s) the upload the files.

Not my place to say.. but he mentioned he was hired as a security guru and one could assume, it may involve illegal content of all sorts.
Perhaps more than simple CD+G files.
News reports indicate all sorts of shenanigans over there on "The Dark Web".
Don't know, can't say..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:52 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Bastiat wrote:
Quote:
Lawyer?

What is that supposed to mean?

Rumor is, 99% of lawyers make the rest look bad..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:55 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Doesn't make sense to me. Why would anyone hire someone to tell them something they already know. I'm sure you can find all kinds of content including the latest movies, etc. but I don't think the content owners need to pay someone to tell them that unless they intend on suing the folks uploading their content which from my understanding of torrents and sucn, is an impossibility.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:18 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Bastiat wrote:
Doesn't make sense to me. Why would anyone hire someone to tell them something they already know. I'm sure you can find all kinds of content including the latest movies, etc. but I don't think the content owners need to pay someone to tell them that unless they intend on suing the folks uploading their content which from my understanding of torrents and sucn, is an impossibility.

Expand your thinking.. Illegal content may result in prison. Depends on how illegal.
Scammers, (Nigerian or others) credit card fraud, theft of corporate data, under age images, several other categories of "Dark Web Activities".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:54 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Reread my post. I understand that all kinds of content is available through these channels and regardless as to whether or not there are criminal infractions, doesn't change the fact that it don't amount to a hill of beans if the source(s) can't be identified. Nor do I think that once the content is out there, that there's much chance that it can be removed. I certainly am not about to waste my resources on trying to locate them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:15 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Bastiat wrote:

I guess I must agree with you..
It just makes no sense to you.. that any organization would hire internet savvy
employees to track down criminals.
No worries, they are not looking for you..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Well you can be sarcastic all you want if you think that's going to advance your argument but my only point is that you can't track down people on mIRC or torrents to the best of my knowledge. If you have information as to the otherwise please share so I can track down those infringers. You are right about me not worrying about them looking for me. It's really more like the other way around.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

When AlphaBay, the world’s largest dark web bazaar, went offline two weeks ago, it threw the darknet into chaos as its buyers and sellers scrambled to find new venues. What those dark web users didn't—and couldn't—know: That chaos was planned. Dutch authorities had already seized Hansa, another major dark web market, the previous month. For weeks, they operated it as usual, quietly logging the user names, passwords, and activities of its visitors—including a massive influx of AlphaBay refugees.

On Thursday, Europol and the US Department of Justice jointly announced the fruits of the largest-ever sting operation against the dark web's black markets, including the seizure of AlphaBay, a market Europol estimates generated more than a billion dollars in sales of drugs, stolen data, and other illegal goods over its three years online. While AlphaBay’s closure had previously been reported as an FBI operation, the agency has now confirmed that takedown, while Europol also revealed details of its tightly coordinated Hansa takeover.

With Hansa also shuttered as of Thursday, the dark web looks substantially diminished from just a few short weeks ago—and its denizens are shaken by law enforcement's deep intrusion into their underground economy.

"This is likely one of the most important criminal cases of the year," attorney general Jeff Sessions said in a press conference Thursday morning. "Make no mistake, the forces of law and justice face a new challenge from the criminals and transnational criminal organizations who think they can commit their crimes with impunity by ‘going dark.’ This case, pursued by dedicated agents and prosecutors, says you are not safe. You cannot hide. We will find you, dismantle your organization and network. And we will prosecute you."
The Sting

So far, neither Europol nor the Department of Justice has named any of the administrators, sellers, or customers from either Hansa or AlphaBay that they plan to indict. The FBI and DEA had sought the extradition from Thailand of one AlphaBay administrator, Canadian Alexandre Cazes after identifying him in an operation they called Bayonet. But Cazes was found hanged in a Bangkok jail cell last week in an apparent suicide.

Still, expect plenty of prosecutions to emerge from the double-takedown of Hansa and AlphaBay, given the amount of information Dutch police could have swept up in the period after Alphabay's closure.

"They flocked to Hansa in their droves," said Interpol director Rob Wainwright. "We recorded an eight-times increase in the number of new users on Hansa immediately following the takedown of Alphabay." The influx was so large, in fact, that Hansa put up a notice just last week that it was no longer accepting new registrations, a mysterious development given that Dutch police controlled it at the time.
dutch national police

That surveillance means that law enforcement likely now has identifying details on an untold number of dark web sellers—and particularly buyers. Europol claims that it gathered 10,000 postal addresses of Hansa customers, and tens of thousands of their messages, from the operation, at least some of which were likely AlphaBay customers who had migrated to the site in recent weeks. Though customers on dark web sites are advised to encrypt their addresses so that only the seller of the purchased contraband can read it, many don't, creating a short trail of breadcrumbs to their homes for law enforcement when they seize the sites' servers.

In a strange and dramatic move, the Dutch national police have created a dark web site themselves that lists darknet vendors by pseudonym, including those under investigation, those who are "identified," and 15 who have already been arrested in current and past investigations. "We trace people who are active at Dark Markets and offer illicit goods or services," the site reads. "Are you one of them? Then you have our attention."
Fallout

It's still unclear how global law enforcement penetrated Hansa, given that it hid the location of their servers, administrators, and users with anonymity software like Tor and I2P. The FBI didn't respond to WIRED's request for more information, and Europol declined to comment beyond its press statement. But an indictment against AlphaBay's Cazes filed Wednesday includes the detail that in 2014, Cazes's personal email, "Pimp_alex_91@hotmail.com" was inexplicably included in welcome message to new users. That led them to his Paypal account and a front company, EBX Technologies. On July 5, Thai police along with FBI and DEA agents searched Cazes' home in Bangkok and found his laptop unencrypted and logged into the AlphaBay site. (They also found a document on the laptop tracking Cazes' net worth, which it estimated at $23 million.)

An FAQ on the Dutch national police's own dark web site includes the question,"Have you de-anonymized TOR?" The agency's answer: "No. But if we would have, we wouldn't tell you ;)"

More Dark Web
Andy Greenberg

The Biggest Dark Web Takedown Yet Sends Black Markets Reeling
Joshuah Bearman

Silk Road: The Untold Story
Andy Greenberg

Hacker Lexicon: What Is the Dark Web?

Despite the size of the sites, the takedowns should by no means end the dark web's vibrant trade in drugs, which researchers at Carnegie Mellon estimated in 2015 to cumulatively generate revenue in the hundreds of millions of dollars, annually. After AlphaBay's shutdown, many of its users also flocked to another site known as Dream Market, which is likely the second-largest marketplace, ahead of Hansa. Now Dream Market will no doubt take more refugees from Hansa, to become the dark web's reigning bazaar of the moment.

But fallout of the AlphaBay and Hansa takedowns may eventually be felt there as well. Vendors who flee those sites for Dream Market may still be compromised by law enforcement, and if arrested, could potentially give up the addresses of any new Dream Market's customers, too.

“We know that removing top criminals from the infrastructure is not a long-term fix. There’s always a new player waiting in the wings, ready to fill those shoes," acting FBI director Andrew McCabe said in Thursday's press conference. "It’s like demolishing a building. Hacking away at individual walls and beams only does so much. But using federal statutes to prosecute these individuals is akin to blowing up the foundation with dynamite...With the weight of this kind of operation, the organization crumbles.”
Bounce Back

Dark web users, meanwhile, were rattled by the sting, advising each other to change their passwords as soon as possible, and spreading paranoid warnings of a possible "backdoor" into dark net markets. "Looks like I'll be sober for a while. Not trusting any markets ATM," wrote one user on Reddit's dark web market forum.

But don't expect even this law enforcement victory to permanently damage the dark web's black market business. After all, takedowns like the seizure of the Silk Road in 2013, and so-called Operation Onymous in 2014, which ended half a dozen top darknet sites, took chunks nearly as large out of the darknet markets infrastructure. Each time business rebounded, as users again went in search of anonymous, online contraband sales. "LE may have won this battle, but they will NEVER win the war on drugs," noted one poster on Reddit's darknet market forum. "For as long as drugs are illegal the DNMs will thrive."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:11 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

________________Deep State meets Dark Web______________

... and of course Cazes just so happened to commit suicide. I like most people, want to see piracy cease to exist, but this deep state stuff scares me more than does the pirates. Besides I don't think they'll ever get that genie back in the bottle especially when you get Nimrod nerds like Jeff Sessions involved. Well there are enough pirates operating out in the open to prosecute for the next 3 or 4 years without having to go after the "dark web". Hopefully the day will come when the dark web is the only way content can be pirated. Maybe by then there'll be techniques available to go after those pirates without being so Draconian.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Bastiat wrote:
Quote:

Nope. Not mistaken at all. I picked a song I knew (that I regularly sing on PHM) and while the cruise ship song books don't list brands, I was at first disappointed to see the Top Tunes splash screen, but then glad to see your colors, typeface and the music was ALL yours after that. The ONLY change was the splash screen.

That's why I thought they must have made some arrangement with you. PM me if you'd like to know the details, (cruise line, dates, ship name, song title etc... ).

BTW, the cruise lines used a CAVS machine for all the karaoke songs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next