KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Boise Idaho karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Boise Idaho karaoke
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:50 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 326 times
Just got home from a trip to Pasco Washington. Stopped on the way home overnight in the Boise Idaho area. We had some time to kill and decided to go out to sing a couple of songs at a local spot. Found a dive bar with good reviews and decided that would be the spot. We showed up to this really run down, old building that looked like it should be condemned. Went inside to find about 25 people all enjoying each others company, laughing, playing pool, having a drink,,, and of course,,, singing some karaoke. The bartender was an old guy with long grey hair and a pony tail. He looked like a homeless man, but was super nice and friendly. Drinks were cheap and the service was fast. (I had lemonade of course, since I don't drink, and besides I was driving) The customers all seemed to be super friendly, young(ish) crowd between 30 and 50 and were all having what looked like "fun". The karaoke host was this young guy (late 20's I would guess), obvious pirate system, lousy sound and horrible cheap mics. He actually did a pretty decent job of keeping things moving and not just a name caller, great personality. The patrons seem to like him a lot. We didn't stay that long, but still had fun. The crowd definitely is karaoke friendly and enthusiastic about participating.

It just goes to show that it's all about what the customers bring to the table with their good fun attitudes. Good sound, good mics, and a host who cares enough to make it all work are all important, but it's all about what the customers do. You can still have fun without the technical aspects of karaoke being used.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Boise Idaho karaoke
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:09 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
mrscott wrote:
It just goes to show that it's all about what the customers bring to the table with their good fun attitudes. Good sound, good mics, and a host who cares enough to make it all work are all important, but it's all about what the customers do. You can still have fun without the technical aspects of karaoke being used.

On the other hand... there are singers that wouldn't be caught dead in a place like that. Some singers DO care about sound quality. They know all the karaoke bars in the area and they know which ones have the best sound. They will only go to the places where they know they're going to sound good.

I get compliments all the time about my sound system. I'm told, I have the best sound of anyone in the area and that they look forward to singing on my system. So, if you think people don't notice or care, think again. There are singers that take karaoke very seriously. Some are willing to travel further where they know the sound is going to be great than to settle for the inferior place that's closer to where they live.

There are many reasons why some folks will settle for and go to the "dive" bar instead of a "nice" place. We won't get into them here but I'm sure you can figure it out. Anyway, just bringing out the flip side of the coin.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Alan B wrote:
On the other hand... there are singers that wouldn't be caught dead in a place like that. Some singers DO care about sound quality. They know all the karaoke bars in the area and they know which ones have the best sound. They will only go to the places where they know they're going to sound good.

quite true, but i think we can agree that they are the exception. for every 1 that does, there are 30 or more that really could not care less. we all have singers who tell us we should go to such and such bar to take over because the karaoke is horrible.... yet they go there every week anyway. being better will always have a market, but i think we should stay realistic that we are a niche market in that aspect.
Alan B wrote:
I get compliments all the time about my sound system. I'm told, I have the best sound of anyone in the area and that they look forward to singing on my system.

of course, people do notice, no doubt about it. but yet another place we have to be realistic is that the garbage host with a blown Radio Shack speaker gets told nightly how awesome it sounds by his singers. it's rare that one would tell the host his sound sucks, though it does happen....mostly by the singers who are the exceptions i mentioned above.
Alan B wrote:
So, if you think people don't notice or care, think again. There are singers that take karaoke very seriously.

agreed, and not enough of them do unfortunately.
Alan B wrote:
Some are willing to travel further where they know the sound is going to be great than to settle for the inferior place that's closer to where they live.

again agreed. wish it could be more than 1:30 is all i'm saying.
Alan B wrote:
There are many reasons why some folks will settle for and go to the "dive" bar instead of a "nice" place. We won't get into them here but I'm sure you can figure it out. Anyway, just bringing out the flip side of the coin.

not trying to go after you here, you just brought up many points i though needed mentioning.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:52 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I'm not saying that taking pride in one's system isn't important... it's important to us as hosts. What I am saying is that for the biggest share of karaoke enthusiasts really do not care. What they want is to have fun and drink and laugh. They know that they won't be "discovered", all they want is to share a few minutes with friends. That was evident the other night with the song choices they made. Songs that weren't about needing a talented voice (except for one song, and she was talented for sure). These were songs to get the crowd smiling and singing along. Would I go back to this place? Probably not, since they didn't offer food, and that is the only way I can support the venue (since I am a non-drinker, not even soda). But it was fun, even for me, a person who DOES take pride in his system. The fun was because of the crowd, and that is where it is supposed to be.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
not trying to go after you here, you just brought up many points i though needed mentioning.

Your responses are certainly valid and I do agree with you.

At one of my venue's I lost a small group of singers who became Eagles members and started going there for karaoke. And even though they told me that I do a much better job at running the show, and that my sound was so much better, and that the atmosphere was so much better... so why in hell are they going to this Eagles club that has no service (you have to go get your own drinks, they don't wait on you) and looks like a pole barn inside?

Because the drinks are only a dollar. But no great loss. This was a cheap bunch that didn't spend much money at the bar anyway.

So, while we strive to provide our customers with a great karaoke experience, to some... as you say, it just doesn't matter. If it did, every other karaoke bar would be dead. Nobody would be going to these inferior dives. But apparently that is not the case.

Personally, as a singer, if I could go to karaoke only one night a week, you can be damn sure it's going to be to the awesome place that has great food, great service, great atmosphere, and of course the best karaoke around. Happily, we do have some singers who think like that but unfortunately not enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:22 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
What I am saying is that for the biggest share of karaoke enthusiasts really do not care.

Which is very sad. It almost makes you want to say: Why am I spending thousands of dollars so I can have the best sounding system when no one really cares? I shouldn't say "no one", because there are definitely some people that do, just not enough of them. But still, it makes you think that way... Save your money since most people don't care anyway.

With that said, as long as I am doing karaoke, I will continue to offer the best sound quality I can. It's one of the things that sets me apart from the rest. I have a reputation for having excellent sound and I will uphold that until the day I stop doing this.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:43 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
What I am saying is that for the biggest share of karaoke enthusiasts really do not care.

Which is very sad. It almost makes you want to say: Why am I spending thousands of dollars so I can have the best sounding system when no one really cares? I shouldn't say "no one", because there are definitely some people that do, just not enough of them. But still, it makes you think that way... Save your money since most people don't care anyway.

With that said, as long as I am doing karaoke, I will continue to offer the best sound quality I can. It's one of the things that sets me apart from the rest. I have a reputation for having excellent sound and I will uphold that until the day I stop doing this.

Totally agree with that statement. I do the same. Like I was taught from a very young age: "Anything worth doing, is worth doing well".

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
Yes there are singers who like and appreciate good sound and as a host that is what I will try to offer, but like stated - the majority doesn't care and just want to sing. For me I like the good sound because I can tend to make a bad singer sound a little better in the end.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:03 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Lonman wrote:
Yes there are singers who like and appreciate good sound and as a host that is what I will try to offer, but like stated - the majority doesn't care and just want to sing. For me I like the good sound because I can tend to make a bad singer sound a little better in the end.

Plus, our ears won't be bleeding at the end of the night. :bawling:

The singers who do not care definitely outnumber the ones who actually do want good sound,,, so I do it for them. It's too bad that there aren't more people who actually do speak up and demand a level of excellence. It might actually put pressure on bar owners to hire "quality" hosts, rather than those hosts that only do the very minimum required to even say that they are "hosts".

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
It might actually put pressure on bar owners to hire "quality" hosts, rather than those hosts that only do the very minimum required to even say that they are "hosts".

And let's not forget these a$$hole hosts are responsible for driving the prices down. Because of them, many bar owners think that karaoke is worth no more than $50 a night. They have no idea what a high quality professionally run show is like.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:05 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
I have NO PROBLEM with driving a longer distance to go somewhere that has desired advantages over nearer places (sound system, atmosphere, vibe, KJ/DJ host skills/personality, rotation, type of mic, quality food, crowd participation/attentiveness, food/drink prices, cleanliness, upbeat bar service, etc).

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

SwingcatKurt wrote:
I have NO PROBLEM with driving a longer distance to go somewhere that has desired advantages over nearer places (sound system, atmosphere, vibe, KJ/DJ host skills/personality, rotation, type of mic, quality food, crowd participation/attentiveness, food/drink prices, cleanliness, upbeat bar service, etc).

Well, where I live, we have to drive a long distance anyway, just to sing AND get good food. Let alone, good service, good sound, etc. The nearest karaoke spot that has ANY potential at all is about 90 miles away.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Went to a show last night and guarantee that I won't go back, it was his last night and judging on his sound, it is no mystery why the owner decided to replace karaoke with trivia. The music was so loud you could not hear the singer, ie poor mic levels vs music levels. But the one thing that I loved is that the host, whom I talked to before the show commented that his program crashed on him several times last week. Guess what he was running, Compuhost.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:22 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
Went to a show last night and guarantee that I won't go back, it was his last night and judging on his sound, it is no mystery why the owner decided to replace karaoke with trivia. The music was so loud you could not hear the singer, ie poor mic levels vs music levels. But the one thing that I loved is that the host, whom I talked to before the show commented that his program crashed on him several times last week. Guess what he was running, Compuhost.

Danny? And this has to do with this topic how?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:24 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
mrscott wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

It shows that like you said it's not the equipment, it's the host. He had pretty good equipment, just had no clue how to work it and because of it the venue has no interest in replacing him with another host. I know because I asked after he told me it was his last night.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

DannyG2006 wrote:
mrscott wrote:
DannyG2006 wrote:

It shows that like you said it's not the equipment, it's the host. He had pretty good equipment, just had no clue how to work it and because of it the venue has no interest in replacing him with another host. I know because I asked after he told me it was his last night.

These are the kind of hosts that give karaoke a bad name. Danny, you should have taken the time to educate the owner that this is definitely not what karaoke is about and offer to do a free show so that he can see (and hear) the difference. Certainly couldn't have hurt and could have gotten you the job.